Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Why I'm supporting Barak Obama

¡Hola! Everybody,
Okay, the Superbowl is over and yeah, while I have to admit being a NY fan, it’s only a game. We pay way too much attention on this shit. After all, it wasn’t me who went out on the field and played against the Pats. And while I will admit to deriving some pleasure from the fact that New York won’t be Boston’s bitch this go round, in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn’t matter. I was trying to make this point with my male friends during the game itself and now they’re considering confiscating my hang out card for future
sporting events. LOL! Fuck them, sports are basically bullshit anyway.

So with that, I offer a tip of the hat and a hearty congrats to the Giants, none of whom will share their winnings with me. About the only thing I might get out of this is BJ if I can make my way up north a ways. LOL

Today has several “supers” attached to it. Of course, it’s the day the Superbowl winners are celebrated here in NYC’s “Canyons of Heroes.” Then there’s the fact that it’s also Mardi Gras (Fat Tuesday), which comes in a little earlier than usual this year. Finally, and most importantly, it’s Super Tuesday, with the presidential primaries taking place in almost all the major states, including here in The Center of the Known Universe. Which brings me to today’s post…

* * *

“What kind of peace do I mean? What kind of peace do we seek? Not a Pax Americana enforced on the world enforced on the world by American weapons of war. Not the peace of the grave or the security of the slave. I am talking about… the kind of peace that makes enables men and nations to grow and hope and to build a better life for their children – not merely peace for Americans but peace for all men and women.”
-- John F. Kennedy, 1963

After much thought and in light of Edwards’ pulling out of the election, I have decided to cast my vote today for Barak Obama. What follows is a brief explanation regarding my decision in the hopes that others can benefit from my exploration. While I must admit that Obama is not radical enough for my tastes, I am very much impressed at how well he attracts both young people and even some independents and moderate republicans. I would love to see an Obama/ Edwards ticket.

How Edwards’ populist campaign got squashed in all this mix-up is probably fodder for many blogs, but for today, I want to recognize what is probably one of the most exciting political developments in recent history. Today, we have the choice of pulling the lever for a woman or a black man, both candidates highly qualified for the job.

While she is admittedly a polarizing figure, Hillary is smart, energetic, immensely intelligent, and driven. All qualities sadly lacking in the village idiot currently running our country into the ground. I’ve also been disgusted by the misogynous bitterness thrown at her, sometimes by women themselves. However, Hillary is a die-hard economic conservative; a middle-of-the-road conservative democrat who’s much too worried about focus groups and polls for my tastes.

While both Obama and Clinton are more or less the same in terms of domestic policies, it’s in the international arena where I see the most difference. On the republican side, candidates are actually having a smash-mouth contest to outdo the Village Idiot’s imitation of Rambo on international politics. But these are the same flock of fools who gleefully raised their hands in admitting they didn’t believe in evolution. I would suggest that anyone who doesn’t “believe” in evolution should be denied its benefits, such as inoculations against certain viruses and such. I’m mean that way sometimes.

I digress…

Hillary will always fall on the side of the multinationals on economic policies and the Clintons are notoriously chameleon-like when it comes to political stances. On foreign policy Obama is more enlightened, as in less foolishly war-like. Hillary Clinton’s refusal to say her Iraq vote was wrong shows that she has neo-con tendencies; perhaps she’s afraid that any admission of being wrong would tag her as weak. But don’t we already have a warlike president who refuses to admit making mistakes? Look how that’s turned out. The election of Barack Obama would send a signal to the world that the United States is taking a different, smarter, more effective stance.

Of the five remaining major candidates for President, only Obama seems to offer the kind of direction for resolving disputes through intelligent policies and negotiations, not ultimatums. Obama has not only successfully criticized Clinton’s vote supporting The Idiot to invade Iraq, but has also dismissed the critique now popular in opinion circles that the war was a good idea that was poorly executed.

“I don’t want to just end the war [in Iraq], but I want to end the mindset that got us into war in the first place,” Obama has said. The way I see it, Obama was referring to his readiness to hold discussions with U.S. enemies without preconditions, a position Clinton has called naïve and a sign of his inexperience.

In case you haven’t been looking, the republicans are looking to locking in military spending at four percent of the gross domestic product or higher, essentially guaranteeing that the welfare queens in three-piece suits – the ones that benefit most from military spending – will continue to live off the public dole forever. We currently spend more on the military than the next five-ten combined. And there’s no conspiracy behind this. Stop looking at the eye on the dollar or reading Nostradamus and any other shit like that. It’s economics, plain and simple.

Ooops! I have to go to a meeting…

to be continued…

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense