Saturday, July 7, 2007

Visualizing Happiness

Hola Everybody!
I'm getting ready to head out the door and enjoy this lovely day. I hope all are living and loving life...

* * *


Genuine happiness is a possibility for everyone. Yeah, even you. You're not that unique, you know! YOU can be happy too! Now, ain't that fucked up?!?!

Furthermore, if you desire to be happy it's not as hard as you or I think it is. In fact, all it takes is 10-20 minutes a day of some simple exercises and poof! All that misery is out! This is true, for less than the time it takes you to watch American Idol, you can be happy. It is THAT simple! Oh yeah, a part of you would rather die than be happy because what the fuck would you do if you were truly happy, right?!! I mean, we've all invested a lot of time and energy into being miserable motherfuckers, that shit ain’t easy to do, you know.

Believe me, there's a way, it's not hard, and it's possible. You can create (actually, you already do!) the world you want. It's just a matter of understanding how the mind works and replacing your current software and your fears turn into self confidence, self-loathing becomes self-appreciation, and so on.

People do this all the time, what makes you think you're that different? Actually, those of us stuck in the shit want desperately to cling to this notion of what I call "terminal uniqueness." It's terminal because it kills. It kills as surely cancer kills. I'm serious as a heart attack (LOL! bad play on words, I know!).

There is a world right before your eyes you're not even aware of and all you have to do is wake up to that possibility.

I'll leave you with the following story. I took a yoga class once as part of an elective in my undergraduate work. The instructor was this zany "New Age" energy freak type -- at least that was my impression of her. Anyway, we connected somehow and one day while looking directly at me (or at least I thought), she took the class on a guided meditation. She started with the fact that she owned a beautiful home on the beach. She added that before she bought the home she envisioned the home in every detail.

She told us that we too can have what we want if we can envision it and proceeded to take us on a guided image meditation. She asked us to imagine something that we wanted and to visualize in exacting detail. If it was a moment in time in the future, what kind of day is it. Is it sunny, rainy? If it's something material like a home, what color is it, where is it? What does it look like inside, the furniture, the paint on the walls, etc?

She went on like this for about 15 minutes. Most of the students were giggling, thinking the exercise stupid. Truth be told, I also thought it was stupid, but I followed her instructions to the letter. The really important part, according to this teacher, was that at the end of the visualization you had to imagine a "big, cosmic mailbox" and you were to place this vision in a "big cosmic envelope" and clearly see yourself putting this envelope in that big cosmic mailbox. By now, people were laughing openly. I thought this part was really stupid, but I did it anyway.

She told us that we had to do this daily in order for it to work and she assured us that this was how she got her beautiful seaside home. She also stated that she used the gift of her home to promote the gifts that she herself received as a yoga teacher/ practitioner. After class, she stopped me and asked me if I really did the exercise and I nodded in the affirmative. She told me, "Good, do it everyday because I see an energy surrounding you... ” I was taken back a little, but I felt her warmth and I nodded my head and just smiled at her.

I followed her instructions to a tee and did this visualization for a long time and I 'm here to tell you that my vision came true. My vision, you ask? My vision was what my life is like today: the work that I do, my personal life -- everything. My vision, even how I dress and smile, and the sun shining through the window, my office, how I feel -- all of it came true.

Those that know me, know that I think that book/ video The Secret is a bunch of bullshit. It is! It's what I call a form of spiritual materialism. I don't really think envisioning material wealth is a very spiritual thing. After all, what happens when the beautiful home burns down? But I won't get into that today. I'm not saying that visualization itself is enough to create a world. But it's a beginning.

Genuine happiness comes from not attaching it to any person, place, or thing. That was what I wanted most -- to be relieved of having my happiness depend on you. Today, I understand a little better how this works and it's all about reprogramming the mental software folks. And you too can create the world and life you desire. You just have to entertain that possibility. For less than the time it takes you to watch American Idol.

Have a great weekend peeps!

Smooches,

Eddie

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense