Saturday, October 15, 2016

I am Not Target Practice... Say It, Sing It



Hola mi gente,
I usually post works of art and art criticism on Saturdays. I was at a conference at NYU’s law school last night where I was treated to the powerful work of Dr. Joshua Bennett. It was a conference on prison abolition (yes, I am a prison abolitionist). 

One of the presenters was a poet, Dr. Joshua Bennett, author of The Sobbing School, holds a Ph.D. in English from Princeton University, and an M.A. in Theatre and Performance Studies from the University of Warwick, where he was a Marshall Scholar. Winner of the 2015 National Poetry Series, Dr. Bennett has received fellowships from the Callaloo Creative Writing Workshop, Cave Canem, the Josephine de Karman Fellowship Trust, and the Ford Foundation. His writing has been published or is forthcoming in Boston Review, The Kenyon Review, Poetry and elsewhere. He is currently a member of the Society of Fellows at Harvard University.

I was fortunate to listen to and experience the following spoken words. Check him out… 


Say It, Sing It If The Spirit Leads


(After Vievee Francis)



* * *

My name is Eddie and I’m in recovery from civilization… 

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense