Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Occupy Wall St!

¡Hola! Everybody...
So... after watching the heavy-handed treatment of the Wall St. protestors...

I decided to join in.

I have friends/ former colleagues who have been Occupying Wall St. from the get, and early on I had decided not to get involved. Being involved in two other campaigns (one confronting racial profiling by the NYPD), forced me to consider it would be best if I didn't spread myself too thin. The reality is that being an activist these days sometimes means being sympathetic to many causes, but learning when and where to pick and choose ones battles.

I'm going to “cheat,” as I will not be sleeping there, but I will be adding my presence to the Occupy Wall St. political action/ movement; adding my voice. Initially, I was skeptical: the organizing, IMO, was too informal and there didn't seem to be a clear, concise, coherent message, but, you what? That’s all bullshit. This action is how it starts, and these people, with almost no financial support, almost no media exposure (here), and powerful interests attempting to stymie their message (here), have demonstrated a resolve that can only be admired. They're still there, and have been inspired and have inspired similar “occupations” across the nation and the world.

My biggest concern is avoiding arrest. Because of my past, an arrest for me can result in an indefinite detention and some fucked up legal complications. But, hey, nothing worthwhile is ever easy, right? And the issue here is about freedom, people. I hope you will consider joining, or at least donating to the cause. There is need for food and other articles, so anything you can donate, even something like $5, would go a long way (click here)

I was called a few minutes ago regarding temporary paid work for a few days, so that might fuck up my plans for Wednesday through Friday, but I will be back at Liberty Plaza on the weekend.

I will be posting daily updates, so stay tuned and if you don’t hear from me, make sure you try to look for me, I might be swallowed up in the system…

My name is Eddie and I’m in recovery from civilization…

Get Up/ Fight Back

If you’re interested in getting involved, or want to support this movement, please visit the Occupy Wall Street Website (click here). There you can get all the latest information, updates on activities and information to other actions across the nation.

If you’re paranoid about online financial interactions, you can send donations and supplies to:

The UPS Store

Re: Occupy Wall Street

118A Fulton St. #205

New York, NY 10038

Money orders only please, we cannot cash checks yet. Non-perishable goods only. We can accept packages of any size. We’re currently low on food.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense