Sunday, May 25, 2008

Sunday Sermon [Speech]

¡Hola! Everybody,
I’ve been soooo lazy this weekend. I’ve barely done anything in the apartment. The weather is nice; I’ve been spending most of my time out and about. Today, I’ll go out again, but I’m going to do some stuff once I get back…

Today’s blog song, from Roberta Flack’s second album (Chapter Two, produced by Deodato) is the story of a reverend who meets his comeuppance… LOL Take a listen, it’s Roberta at her best.

* * *

-=[ Speech ]=-


Most people know I’m a public speaker as part of my job. I’ve been doing this for many years and I think I’ve gotten good at it. Communication is an art and one must work at speaking as you would any art. For example, a musician never stops practicing with his instrument. I knew a trombonist who still practiced 4-7 hours day even after having played for more than twenty years.

It’s the same with everything else we do. It doesn’t matter if it’s speaking, sexing, playing a sport – practice is the essence of skillful living.

“Hello, how are you?”

This sentence can be said in any number of ways. It can be said in anger, sweetness, sexiness, hatefulness, or flirtatiously.

You choose the energy with which you speak, that quality pervading the performance of your life experience. The people you touch with your speech resonate with the energy you offer. To continue the musical analogy, you should strive to choose the energy of your speech like a musician selects a song from his or her repertoire.

Awareness and knowledge comes with a responsibility. It’s not enough to mouth the truth. Anyone can point out the obvious or not so obvious. There is no art in that and it serves no purpose except but to feed your ego. In order for you to be able to embody the truth of your experience, you have to be responsible for your posture, your inflection, the manner in which you breathe, your thoughts, and your speech. If you have the art, if you’re a practitioner, then your speech serves to open those who come into your life.

If you can allow your awareness spread through space, reverberating through the bodies of others, everyone feels it.

How much responsibility are you willing to take on? The world, like an audience at a concert, awaits your answer.

Love,

Eddie


Get your own playlist at snapdrive.net!

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense