Tuesday, November 11, 2008

If You're Against Gay Marriage You're a Bigot

OK, I’m just to call it as it is:
If you’re against equals rights for any human being, you’re expressing bigotry.

Period.

I don't give a fuck about your beliefs. I do, however, give a damn when you try to impose your beliefs on me. I do care when people use their religion to exempt others from the same rights they enjoy. Denying a human being the same rights you enjoy is being a bigot.

* * *

-=[ Bigotry ]=-

“Communities do not let prostitutes, pedophiles, voyeurs, adulterers, and those who sexually prefer animals to publicly celebrate their lifestyles, so why should homosexuals get such privileges?”

-- James Dobson


Bigot: A bigot is a person who is intolerant of opinions, lifestyles, or identities differing from his or her own, and bigotry is the corresponding state of mind. Bigot is often used as a derogatory term against a person who is obstinately devoted to prejudices even when these views are challenged or proven false or not universally applicable or acceptable.

Gandhi once said, “I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ.” I also often wonder where so-called Christians get their teaching. I think Jesus’ teachings are beautiful, but many Christians turn out to be quite un-Christ-like…

Here’s one shining example of tolerance and what one individual wrote in response to my blog on same sex marriage:

“I am not against homosexuality (in a previous blog I admitted to a bisexual encounter and having enjoyed it). I am not for same sex marriages. I wouldn't discriminate against a same sex couple. A contradiction in terms? Perhaps. I don’t believe in gay bashing. I believe that gays should have the rights that any other American has; jobs, heath care, insurance, housing. Marriage? I’m not open to that idea. Ignorant? Perhaps.”

Now here’s the same comment, but substituting Black for the parts where she referred to gay people:

I am not against blacks (in a previous blog I admitted to a sexual encounter with a black and having enjoyed it). I am not for black marriages. I wouldn’t discriminate against an black couple. A contradiction in terms? Perhaps. I don’t believe in black bashing. I believe that blacks should have the rights that any other American has; jobs, heath care, insurance, housing. Black marriage? I’m not open to that idea. Ignorant? Perhaps.

I don’t see how this person didn’t see the contradiction in her own narrow-minded thinking. But does it make sense? She went to talk about pedophiles, junkies, and a bunch of other nonsense. Why would pedophiles and junkies be thrown into a discussion about gays? (<--- rhetorical question -- that means it’s not meant to be answered -- I know why she put it up there: because she’s bigoted.)

Here’s another example of Christian forbearance and compassion posted as a response to the Keith Olbermann video clip:

“I’m not for gay marriage, but I'm not a bigot. I don’t hate gay people. I don’t use derogatory words but I don’t think that two men or two women should be allowed to get married. Maybe that’s partly because of the way I was raised. I'm sorry if people think that I’m a bigot because I oppose gay marriage but I don’t think that anything short of God telling me it’s ok would change my mind.”

Okay: I’ll skip the part where she apparently believes her God talks to her, but --again -- let’s substitute blacks for the parts where she expresses her “beliefs”:

I’m not for black marriage, but I’m not a bigot. I don’t hate black people. I don’t use derogatory words but I don’t think that black men or women should be allowed to get married. Maybe that’s partly because of the way I was raised. I’m sorry if people think that I'm a bigot because I oppose black marriage but I don’t think that anything short of God telling me it’s ok would change my mind.

These people are expressing bigoted positions that would not be tolerated for any other group. That both of these women are women of color galls me because it makes me feel ashamed that there are people from my community that think in this way. Their views are not that different from the views of the parents of the two little girls depicted in my photograph. I want no part of a religion or God that promotes intolerance.

Let us be clear: This is not about your religious beliefs, nor the beliefs your parents instilled in you. This is not about your narrow-minded opinions and fears. This is a constitutional issue. The issue at play here is the issue of human rights.

Love,

Eddie

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense