Wednesday, August 31, 2016

rEvolutionary Spirituality



Hola mi gente,
If you can, please consider funding my initiative which is tentatively titled, The People’s Scholar Activist. I am in the process of formulating a concept paper, but for now, you should know that  your funds would go to helping the work that that I do in criminal justice reform with an emphasis on independent, community engaged advocacy/ activism -- helping to include the voices that are often missing in crafting social policy --  and helping upgrade my blog. 


I envision my blog as a place to offer alternative viewpoints often not on the table and including the written and oral narratives of those who don’t make it to visit the president or sit on an MSNBC panel, or sit on city and state advisory boards. More to come later in the week.


You can contribute -- any amount counts -- by clicking here: LINK

Alternatively, you can donate via PayPal here

rEvolutinary Spirituality

 
Let me start this way today: As human beings we die if we don’t have connection. This isn’t hyperbole, it is a neurological fact. So, right up front, I am saying that connection is vital to health.  Without touch, for example, infants cannot thrive. So that is where we are starting today… 

The word spirituality comes from the Latin root word meaning “to breathe.” It’s the one common aspect we all share as humans, we all breathe in the same air -- we all share the same air supply on this small green little gem we call earth. And in that way we are all connected. Therefore, I define spirituality broadly. I see spirituality as the web of connection that binds us all to one another and to our ecology. It’s that simple. No burning bushes, no commandments, no having to accept Jesus, or any other historical figure, as your savior before you are saved, born again, experience redemption, etc. -- none of that. I often joke that religion is for those afraid of going to hell, while spirituality is for those who have already been there. 
Faith? Faith is very important, but not the blind faith often adhered to by the unthinking. When I speak of faith, I see it as trusting in the experience of our lives. We use faith all the time and maybe the second step to wellness is to take that one leap of faith that, as human beings, we can realize genuine happiness in this very life.
 

Some ask me if I believe in a God, or in an afterlife, or a heaven or hell and my answer is: what the fuck does any of that have to do with the price of potatoes in the big city?! 

My personal Higher power is love and looks like Halle Berry. LOL

That’s it in a nutshell, a holistic approach that’s psycho-spiritual in orientation -- that’s my path. I won’t go into details about my chosen spiritual discipline because I refuse to be a public relations spokesperson for any spirituality. LOL I think it’s important to connect, to bond with others, sharing our pain as well as our joys, not so we can co-sign each other’s bullshit, but to lovingly and firmly challenge one another to own up to our shared humanity. We have a physiology that is made for connection and when we lose sight of that connection, we become ill. We become as individuals but also collectively. We are ill, but our planet is ill today because of our disconnect from one another and from Gaia. Therefore, recovery, or healing, is about taking steps to re-connect, to celebrate our humanity and our innate essential goodness.

My name is Eddie and I’m in recovery from civilization…

No comments:

Post a Comment

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense