Saturday, September 24, 2016

We introduced two strangers...

Hola mi gente,
A rally/ march to close down one of the world’s largest penal colonies -- New York City’s notorious Rikers Island -- is taking place today. I’m looking forward to engaging a post-march, robust discussion, community-based discussion about sane alternatives to incarceration. In other words, the real challenge will be in answering the question, “What should a post-Rikers New York city look like?”

You can still support my writing and advocacy work by donating HERE

Saturdays are for poetry and beautiful things, generally speaking.

Nows [no. 4]



We introduced two strangers,
pulling cautious strings
and choreographing
a carefully constructed rapport.

Never enough for our selves,
how could we be enough
for another?

I gave you someone
you could love and I took
in grateful exchange
the mannered lady
you had made for me.

So here we are together…

whoever we are.

And that painful process
must begin before long.

The desperate struggle
to get back to
who we really are
without losing each other
along the way.

* * *

My name is Eddie and I’m in recovery from civilization…

1 comment:

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense