Sunday, November 15, 2009

Sunday Sermon [Self-Importance]

¡Hola! Everybody...
Congrats to my Filipino friends/ boxing fans. Manny Pacquiao took apart Puerto Rico’s pride and joy, Miguel Cotto. I honestly thought Cotto was too strong for the Pac Man -- boy was I wrong! LOL BTW, did I ever mention how much I admire the beauty of my Filipina sisters? *grin*

* * *

-=[ Renting Space ]=-

Blessed is he who can laugh at himself for he shall never cease to be amused.

-- proverb


I have an admission to make. An admission that I fear will decrease your high estimation of me. (LOL!) I suffer from a terrible inclination toward renting the space inside your head. You usually rent it free (!!). Have you ever rented out your head space? Perhaps you have in the past, or maybe you still do. In that case, you should be wary of predators such as me for I have been known to rent the space inside many a head. I also take over your inner remote control as I lounge in the cramp quarters inside your head (hey, it is free).

People allow me to do this all the time... I know, I know: I am bad -- incorrigible even.

I must submit in my defense, however, that I am much better today than I was in the past. When I was younger I used to allow people to rent the space inside my head all the time. Having been on both sides of the issue, however, I am here to tell you that I would rather rent the space in your head, than allow you to rent space in mine. Are you confused?

Allow me to 'splain Reeky...

Let us say someone calls you a twat. That starts you thinking, “Who the hell does he think he is to call me an twat?!!” “How dare he call me an twat?!!” “He has no right to call me an twat -- I’ll show him who the twat is!” And if you are smart you realize that you have just allowed him call you a twat another five times.

That’s known as allowing someone to rent the space inside your head.

Every time you remember what they said, everytime you recall or mentally relive the insult, you allow them to insult you yet again. And therein lies the problem.

If someone insults you and you don’t hang on to it -- you let it go -- then it ceases to bother you. Its power (power donated by you) is diminished. Therein lies the solution.

I can correctly measure the level of my personal growth by how long I choose to hang on to an insult. Why allow other people (most of whom are unimportant) to rent space in your head? Why give them control of your inner happiness? Part of the answer is tied to the degree of self-importance you possess. All that ego takes a lot of energy that could be put to better use. But don’t listen to me, I love renting space in your head (free! LOL!)

Love,

Eddie

4 comments:

  1. Always trying to get the upper hand?
    Well that is the premise to all competitors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm giving them a fair chance. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally get it and I know you have helped others realize that they too have done this. If someone affects you enought to take time up in your head before you actually get them out of there and evict their asses, you're renting to a freeloader who's dead weight!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense