Thursday, April 1, 2010

Self-Righteousness

¡Hola! Everybody...
When will we learn to look at our own shit before judging other people's shit? Scratch ‘n’ sniff ma’ufccas!

***

-=[ Self-Righteousness ]=-

Self-righteous indignation is the loud din created to drown out our own guilt.


Self-righteousness -- that essentially selfish human weakness of seeing yourself as separate -- is most evident in the hypocrite. If you do not believe me, take a closer look around you, read the signs.

I think as a society we exemplify the grabbing and holding for attention that comes with the narrow focus on self. How else can you explain “reality” TV shows? We do this even in our quest for a “relationship,” or love. Love is spoken about as if it could be possessed.

Me! Mine!

“I would never do that!”

“I’m better than him/ her!”

Most people, when they think of selfishness, think of the drive to acquire material goods, but there are many other forms of selfishness. Self-righteousness is about holding all the attention we can get, or denying others the possibility of sharing with us in any community.

We like to represent ourselves as being for equality, that we should all get along. But God forbid this getting along includes taking you out of your comfort zone, or if the status quo needs to be changed in order for real unity to exist. On the other hand, there are always the annoying “allegations,” the malicious gossip, the exclusion/ inclusion of certain individuals based on I don’t know what, the “the nerve of him/ her,” “he’s this or that… ”

Sssssssssssshhhhhh… hear that... ?

If you listen closely, you can hear the whispers. Those are definitely not coquis boys and girls! LOL

It would be funny if it weren’t so tragic, or at least sad. My question is this: why so much energy on obfuscation? What is the motivation there? Whenever I see the pointing of fingers and the moralizing, I am reminded of the Clinton/ Lewinsky affair and how it turned out later that the most vocal of the moralists, those who condemned and railed the most, had more than a few skeletons (“youthful indiscretions”) in their own closets.

The reason why I bring this up is that I feel this form of behavior illustrates my point of the drawbacks of hypocrisy and self-righteousness. Simply put, some people see themselves as separate from you or me, they perceive us as a threat, or as “less than.” For some people, they define themselves almost exclusively as how much different (and better) they are than others. Is this a reality or the consequences of a weak self-esteem and insecurity?

Point out racism and that makes one a racist because (OMG!) the sheeple believe the election of an African-American president means racism no longer exists.

Point out the connection between White Nationalist fascist ideology, Tea Baggers, and recent violence and I guess that also makes me a racist.

Lemme see: if I were to point out the emperor’s nakedness, then that would make a nudist too, right?!! LOL!

This is hypocrisy, plain and simple…

Fact is this: not one of these people knows me in any significant manner -- never even met me in person. Nevertheless, that doesn’t stop the allegations, the gossip, and all the other bullshit. In terms of debate? A debate presupposes that you come to the table with an adequate understanding of the components of an argument. Something I don’t see in use around here. And no, just stating something does not constitute an argument.

I will state right here that I’m not concerned with “convincing” anyone of my worldview. My concern is to attempt to present the truth as well as I can. Most of the idiots who condemn without reason or rhyme will never be convinced of anything except of the forthrightness of their own foolishness.

The essential point here, my “larger” heart tells me, is that all of life is fragile and interconnected. We have a more generous spirit when we are in touch with the fact that it is only when we look at the world purely through our ego-driven neuroses, that the world becomes fearful. When we look at things from the perspective of the “mini me,” we see only a void and a need to be something better.

My heart also tells me that if there is inequality, then the status quo needs to change. Don’t tell me I can come to your table only on your terms. That’s bullshit -- hypocritical bullshit.

Love,

Eddie

2 comments:

  1. "My concern is to attempt to present the truth as well as I can."

    You forget...ego and hidden agendas are a very complex entities.
    People have a dark desire to create their own "cult of personality".
    Its hard for us to battle the ego that we see in the mirror, we give in to it very easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Saynt: You hit it right on the head. Ego can subvert anything, even noble causes, and defintiely the "truth." A lot of this involves working with the "shadow" or the things we stow away becayse we're ashamed of them. They come back to bite us on the ass.

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense