Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Racism in America

¡Hola! Everybody...
Editing is the hardest task in writing... I am afraid the following isn’t a shining example... I started this series a while back, so it would be better if you go to the real intro (click here) and its follow-up (click here). The second link is especially important because I define my terms there.

* * *

-=[ Racism in America, pt. III ]=-

DYSON: And if white guys were being mistreated this routinely and being murdered as they are, by policemen, this would not be acceptable. That‘s why President Obama needs to use his bully pulpit to explore race, not run from it, not avoid it, but to engage it.

MATTHEWS: I think he engaged it by getting elected last year.

DYSON: Not enough.

(cross talk)

MATTHEWS: You don’t know. He‘s off. He’s free.

DYSON: I got brothers in prison.

MATTHEWS: And they are -- well, tell them to get a good lawyer.

-- Chris Matthews and Michael Eric Dyson on Hardball discussing the arrest of Dr. Gates

* * *

What follows in the next few entries could be loosely termed a literature review on racism in America. Plugging through such literature can have an adverse effect on your state of mind. As much as you think you know, one still comes away shocked at the persistence of racism. Add to that the overwhelming effort -- on all levels -- to deny its existence and it can get pretty much gloomy. A friend claims she knows when I’m immersed in the literature because she says my mood changes. LOL

It’s a trip... I am reminded of Dante’s inferno: “Abandon all hope ye who enter here... ” LOL!

All kidding aside, what I hope to offer is a critical theory of racism not only to explain and better understand it, but also to envision possibilities for change. Since at least the time of Marx, critical theory has attempted to uncover the dialectical relationship between systems of oppression and human agency.

The core problem of the racial dialog in this country (if we can even claim one), is that too often many Americans, especially white Americans, see racism as an individual matter, as something only overt bigots engage in. In this way, the racist foundations of all our cultural institutions are ignored or dismissed. A case in point is the interchange quoted above. What isn’t understood or acknowledged by Chris Matthews is that the arrest of a prominent African American academic doesn’t take place in a vacuum. As I will show in later entries, racial profiling, the uneven implementation of criminal justice policies, and negative black stereotypes all combine to create what is in effect an apartheid structure impacting almost all facets of the black experience in America. One cannot drive, shop, hail a cab, and apparently enter ones home while black. It happens and many white people either simply don’t understand or are apathetic to the enormity of the problem. That’s why Matthews can smirk and say, “Tell them to get a good lawyer.” He doesn’t get it. There’s a phrase, “Driving while black,” used to describe one form of racial profiling. I would say there should be another catchall phrase: “living while black.”

But I digress... Racism is much more than an individual issue. It is both individual and systemic. An extensive social reproduction process that generates both patterns of discrimination within institutions and an alienating racist relationship enables systemic racism. On the one hand, you have the racially oppressed, and on the other, the racial oppressors. These two groups are a function of the racist system, and therefore they have different group interests. The oppressed seek to overthrow the system, while the oppressors seek to maintain the status quo. In this way, in typical dialectical fashion, social oppression contradictions that compel change. Great inequality of resources across the color line eventually leads to periodic eruptions of resistance by African Americans and other people of color.

At this juncture conservatives believe that a color-blind constitution means public solutions to end social inequality between racial groups are illegitimate, the equivalent of “reverse racism,” or “racial social engineering.” This view adheres rigidly to the notion that government should be held to a strict standard of racial neutrality and that any attempts at legal redress to rectify racial inequalities is wrong.

I reject this position. If America is to achieve its full potential, I think it is the government’s duty to use public policies to root out abiding racial inequality. I think it makes sense to consider carefully how labor market discrimination, private institutional practices, and public policies have contributed to the accumulation of economic and social advantage in white communities, and the concomitant disinvestment of social and economic capital in communities of color.

Most people assume that white racism cannot account for abiding black inequality. Conservatives attribute persistent gaps in poverty rates and income between blacks and white to African Americans’ socially irresponsible choices regarding education, marriage, work, and crime, rather than to labor market discrimination. What accounts for labor market disparities, conservatives say, cannot be discrimination since they submit that discrimination has all but disappeared. What accounts for wage inequality is the differences between blacks and whites in pre-market factors such as schooling, work habits, life and job skills. According to conservative scholars, what may look like persistent employment discrimination is better described as employers rewarding “workers [who have] relatively strong cognitive skills.’

In the coming entries, I will show that the analyses of conservative scholars suffer from a myopic insistence on disregarding sets of data while focusing on data that girds their arguments. In other words, their work is seriously flawed.

In the coming days I will show racism impacts criminal justice, health, employment, education, and yeah, sports.

Eddie

8 comments:

  1. Since this is a discussion about race I'll start with saying that I am white. There is a double hurdle of racism and poverty that many blacks and latinos have to overcome. There are countless little things that we learn from our families about how to live that most people take for granted. Take college for an example, how can you tell your kids about what needs to be done to go to college when you didn't go yourself? My parents were poor and didn't encourage me to go to college since they could not afford it and didn't go themselves. I won't be making the same mistake but it took generations to learn that lesson.

    What do we do about it? Even when individuals stop being racist we still have segregated neighborhoods and income disparity. The only thing I know of that seems to be working toward breaking the cycle is the Harlem Children's project, are there others? Do you think that is the right approach? Whites have the power and money but that doesn't mean they have a worth wile culture, should we be teaching white children how not to be materialistic instead of teaching black children how to be materialistic?

    Should I just be patient and wait for you to finish posting the series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Ryan: thanks for posting your comments. I will hold my own suggestions, but I do think we need to invest HEAVILY in early education and not just for children of color, but for EVERYONE. We're now importing more scientists than ever before and that can't be good.

    Your comments also reminded me of something I left out today but meant to include: My analysis in this series is very narrow in its scope (it has to be or I would be writing a book! LOL). But that doesn't mean there are other forms of oppression. Two that come to mind are class and gender. I believe class might will be a harder nut to crack than race, but we can't get to class until we start discussing and resolving the race issue in a meaningful way.

    Please feel free to post any questions or thoughts, as those will inform my future offerings and thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As you know,I'm also white. I always benefit from engaging in perspectives outside of my own experience and look forward to further reading in this series.
    I truly believe racism is a learned bias deeply rooted in society,afterall, our history is rife with acceptance of such acts of intolerance. While I condemn the conservatives for their appalling lack of understanding the dynamics of cultural diversity in feigning "neutrality", I believe that the individual is the real link to abolishing racial inequalities in our society. Open dialogue,education,cultural awareness and anything that piques the attention of this topic is certainly worthwhile in the journey of zero tolerance for racism.It really will take a village to raise our consciousness..eager to hear what you have to say about solutions to racism .
    SPQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. @SweetP: You're white?!! Nawwwww! LOL I'm teasing, of course.

    what I am trying to do is bring some much-needed focus to systems. one of the other negative side effects of the focus on individual agency is that it personalizes racism.

    IOW, it sets the tone for people to talk past each other and all the while the forces that oppress blacks, the same that oppress and discriminate based on gender, class, and sexual orientation, go unchecked. So, in a way what I am going to share at first may seem like a lot of doom and gloom. However, I think it will also serve move the discussion to SYSTEMS rather than individuals.

    I believe that's the first step on the path to our collective liberation.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It all just seems so negative, I don’t hear an answer, everyone feels how wrong it is (by living it) we don’t need to be educated by it to know it, and by expressing it ..... it becomes the probable almost certain future ...

    I don’t pretend to have your education Eddie, it’s something that I really admire about you, is it possible that by sharing what you learnt rather than how we can change it, actually defeats the true purpose behind why you write?

    This blog is asking for agreement, not creating the possibility of change ....

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Zoe: I think it was Jung that said, "Enlightenment is not imagining figures of light but making the darkness conscious."

    In my own life, I was unable to arrive at meaningful change until I overcame my denial.

    In America we live in denial of the racist mechanisms that harm all of us. I would go so far as saying that racism is a worldwide problem. Probably the moist pressing problem of all.

    I live in a country where people, for whatever reasons, refuse to acknowledge the truth of racism and in that way, it is perpetuated.

    The solution, if I were to think in those terms, begins here, making the darkness visible, no matter what ugliness the light of our consciousness uncovers.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I appreciate the quote by Jung, but I think its only the people who are dark that need to make it concious .... which is not you ... and that was kind of my point ;)

    Hope you have a fabulous time on your retreat!

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense