Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Willful Ignorance

¡Hola! Everybody...
Yes, I am still here, more contrarian than ever, thumbing my nose at the hypocrites, committing crimes of the heart, and saving damsels (okay! Okay! I know sodomy is not considered a good deed... ). Warning: some of my posts will be dangerous to your ignorance.

I will be gone for most of the day, so play nice kiddos. Today I mourn a death...

* * *

-=[ Ignorance & the Death of Reason ]=-

To be ignorant of one’s ignorance is the malady of the ignorant.

-- Amos Bronson Alcott (1799–1888)

American teacher, philosopher, writer, reformer


If you think education is expensive, try ignorance.

-- Derek Bok, president, Harvard University

There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion.

-- John Dalberg, Lord Acton


Due to a national tragedy -- the death of Reason -- today’s notes will seem more strident than usual. I offer no apologies for that. Reason died a horrible, tragic and unnecessary death. And please hold your prayers! If you want to offer condolences, I appreciate it, but I would rather that instead of praying, or extending your condolences, I hope that today you make a pact to learn, or help someone learn something new today.

In this way, you honor what Reason’s life was about.

That is how Reason was; she always stood for the value of education. She dedicated her life to it, and she had many flaws, believe me, but the worst was the one she and I shared: an absolute abhorrence toward ignorance. She detested, most especially, that people paid more attention to their cars than to developing their critical thinking abilities. Her mission was to open the eyes of the willfully ignorant -- those who shunned her presence

Alas, she failed…

We were raised poor in some of the worst neighborhoods in the country, but Reason always valued education. She and I were both “smart,” but she always said I left her in the dust when it came to the brains department. However, I know that was just Reason’s way of reinforcing my thirst for knowledge. She showed her love by her actions and not through mere words or religious dogma.

When I was growing up, other kids would often make fun of Reason and me because we were “smart.” Moreover, throughout my life, I have been the recipient of personal attacks because people perceive the manner in which I express myself as condescending. However, Reason taught me that most of those attacks come from people who, loathing their ignorance, attack others instead of attacking their own ignorance.

For a time, Reason stopped talking to me because I decided to fit in and ignore my intelligence. Eventually, many years later, we came together again and she was the most happiest when I entered university and graduated first from NYU and when I was accepted to Columbia later. She was the one that taught me the responsibility attached to the gift of intelligence and she made sure I understood that the responsibility is to give it back, to give back to the larger familia, La Communidad.

Today, I choose to honor reason by questioning everything and prodding others to do the same. She never let me forget that was my responsibility, no matter how much I fought to deny it and tried to “fit in.” And for that, I am eternally grateful. I love you Reason. Your absence is felt all across this land of ours.

Love,

Eddie

6 comments:

  1. WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT FOOL?
    I AM ALIVE!
    ALIVE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. REASON!!!

    ::faints::

    LOL!

    I forgot to send you that thing we agreed to for this Friday. Let me see if I send it to you tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been mourning Reason recently also, Eddie - I suppose we both got the memo about the same time, more or less.

    She was good to me, too.

    Thanks for sharing her --

    --Will

    ReplyDelete
  4. Will: we shared Nina?!! Kidding Nina! LOL

    If you get the chance or time, let me suggest an excellent book, The Age of American Unreason, by historian Susan Jacoby.

    It's not a polemic, but an insightful exploration into the type of mindset that has congealed lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a teacher of adolescents - I believe we killed reason when we allowed our children THE ANSWER to everything - they don't want to think! they don't solve their own problems - in the information world, parents look up an answer and tell their children - its THE answer - without reason, or thought of any kind! UUgghhh ... that's why i am writing from my summer school classroom trying to teach kids how to "question and problem solve" some very basic situations. Kumu

    ReplyDelete

What say you?

Headlines

[un]Common Sense